“Uncle, why are you coughing? No need to be Fernand Raynaud to ask the question. Irritating, oily, or dry, it can take different forms but is always annoying; discover the remedies against cough. Here are some natural remedies that can help relieve a cough:
- Drink plenty of fluids: Hot water, tea, and fruit juice can help moisturize the throat and ease coughing.
- Take a hot bath or shower: the humidity in the air can help clear the airways and ease coughing.
- Use a humidifier: Using a humidifier can help maintain humidity in the air and ease coughing.
- Inhaling: Inhaling hot steam can help clear the airways and relieve coughing.
- Use essential oils: Certain scents, such as mint and eucalyptus, can help relieve a cough.
- Eat honey: Honey can help relieve coughs with its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
- Use throat lozenges: Throat lozenges can help relieve coughs by moisturizing the throat and soothing sore throats.
- Origin of cough
Why Do We Cough?
Coughing is the body’s natural reflex to clear the airways by expelling air and mucus.
The mechanism is interesting to know: we have a vagus nerve, which informs our medulla oblongata, located just above the spinal cord, that our airways are congested or irritated.
This then triggers the cough reflex. It tends to be brought about by a few elements, for example,
- A cold or flu: These common respiratory infections can cause a wet cough due to increased mucus production.
- Asthma is a respiratory condition that can cause a persistent, dry cough.
- Bronchitis: Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which can cause a wet cough.
- Smoking: Smoking can bother aviation routes and cause a constant hack.
- Allergies: Allergies can cause a cough by reacting to allergenic substances such as dust, animal hair, and pollen.
- Exposure to irritating substances: Irritating substances, such as cigarette smoke, dust, and chemicals, can cause coughing.
Also Read: Ten Natural Anti-Inflammatory Remedies
Wet Or Dry Cough?
There is not one, but many ways to cough. For those sensitive to melody, the cavernous cough is symptomatic of laryngitis, the characteristic whistling of bronchitis. The key is to clear the airways: commonplace winter coughs can turn into fits ( colds, angina, bronchitis), while others are symptoms of severe pathology (cancer, cystic fibrosis). Tobacco makes you cough, as does polluted air. In reality, and apart from cases of serious pathologies directly related to white coats, we cough in two ways: our cough is dry or oily.
How To Distinguish Them?
Dry cough does not produce a secretion: it is caused by respiratory tract irritation due to the onset of a cold or an allergy. She often clears her throat. A wet cough frees the lungs of mucus that clogs them. This oily cough is therefore cleansing. It is often a symptom of an advanced cold or bronchitis. In either case, dry or oily, the cough is tiring. A fortiori if it is a baby who coughs. An infant may catch a cold or virus like an adult because his airways are not yet definitively formed.
Cough Remedies For Babies And Toddlers
Until the age of two, it is strongly discouraged to give cough syrup to a child. Other beneficial methods exist: gently cleaning his nose with physiological serum several times a day, having him sleep on a small raised mattress, or even on his deckchair. And, of course, renew the air in his room. If the air in his room is too dry, consider, for example, drying clothes there.
Of course, if this does not pass, go to the pediatrician. We do not tinker with the health of a small child: the cough exhausts him much more than you, often causing a loss of appetite.
In case of fever, which accompanies the cough of the minor child, it is imperative to consult. Finally, should we remember not to smoke in front of a child?
100% Natural Cough Remedies
Now let’s come back with some more information about natural cough remedies. Honey, of course. Before or instead of rushing to the pharmacy, in the case of adults in any case, the reflex is, of course, to prepare a soothing and sanitizing hot drink. Thus the classic honey infusion: a zest of lemon juice and a spoonful of honey in hot water remains a timeless base for a good reason.
Eucalyptus is also excellent whether your cough is oily or dry: two drops of eucalyptus essential oil in warm water will soothe you. Drink up to three cups daily, and you’ll appreciate the difference.
Is your cough oily? Prefer myrtle in infusion and cutaneous application: on the bronchi and in the back. After eight days, you will be discharged. Above all, your cough will subside the same day.
Black Radish Syrup
Black radish thins bronchial mucus and promotes its elimination. It is recommended in case of a cough.
- Cut the black radish (in thin slices).
- Place alternating layers of black radish slices and powdered sugar in a dish.
- Leave to macerate for a day.
- Take 4 to 6 tablespoons of syrup/day. Please note: the syrup can be kept for a maximum of 48 hours.
It is important to note that if you have a persistent or severe cough, it is recommended that you seek medical attention to rule out any serious underlying cause.