For some, hand and nail care can play a vital role: from this point of view, one of the most popular techniques for working on nails and making them long-lasting is reconstruction with acrylic. Using acrylic as a material for nail extensions is accidental. In 1954, a dentist hurt his nail while working, took a piece of solid foil, and covered it with restorative material. He was amazed that the nail looked real and conducted the first “experiments” using acrylic material.
Let’s delve deeper into the acrylic nail reconstruction technique, including the necessary products and the application process.
Acrylic Nails: Definition And Characteristics
Acrylic nails are created by applying acrylic polymers and liquid monomers to a natural nail or artificial extension. The finished product is robust, durable, and can be shaped to fit the shape of the natural nail. Acrylic nail reconstruction is used to lengthen and strengthen natural nails and is often used by people with weak nails or difficulty growing them. Furthermore, this technique is also famous for people looking for an alternative to gel nail treatments.
Acrylic For Nails: What Is It Made Of?
As mentioned above, nail acrylic is made up of two elements :
- The monomer, or the liquid part;
- The polymer, i.e., the powder.
A self-hardening mixture is obtained from the union of these two compounds, which does not require UV rays to dry. When the liquid and the powder come together, thanks to the BPO (Benzoyl Peroxide) polymer, a partial catalyzation is obtained, which allows action with filing.
Depending on the quantity of BPO, the polymerization changes: if there is little of it, the polymerization will be poorer, and if the BPO is well present, the drying will be more significant.
It is a good idea to ensure you never use monomers and powders from different companies since the mix of chemical bonds is variable.
From this point of view, the perfect mixture for each ‘ball’ of acrylic is made up of one part powder plus one and a half parts liquid: in this way, ideally, a ball is created that is neither too wet nor too dry, which will be worked more efficiently. Easily. Remember that a current of air or a temperature change is enough to create micro-cracks in the structure; it is, therefore, advisable to always work in ventilated environments but with a stable temperature.
Also Read: Castor Oil Benefits For Health And Beauty
Products For Acrylic Nail Reconstruction
It is essential to use the right products to obtain a professional result in acrylic nail reconstruction. Here are some of the most common products needed for acrylic nail reconstruction :
- Acrylic powder: acrylic powder is the main component of acrylic reconstructions. It is used to create the nail extension;
- Liquid monomer: is used together with acrylic powder to create a modeling paste that is applied to the nail;
- Acrylic brush: a good brush is essential for precise application of acrylic paste;
- Primer: the primer is used to prepare the natural nail for the application of acrylic paste;
- Nail files: A nail file is used to file and shape acrylic nails.
Process Of Applying Acrylic Nail Reconstructions
The process of applying acrylic nail manicure includes the following steps :
- Prepare your natural nails: Before you begin, remove old nail polish and clean your nails. Next, gently file the surface of the nail to remove any imperfections;
- Apply the primer: it acts on the natural nail to prepare it for the acrylic reconstruction;
- Prepare the acrylic paste: mix the acrylic powder and the monomer liquid to create a moldable acrylic paste;
- Apply the acrylic paste: using an acrylic brush, apply the paste to the surface of the natural nail or on the gel reconstruction, then shape it to adapt to the shape of the natural nail;
- File and shape the nail: once the acrylic paste has hardened, file and shape the nail with a file to obtain the desired shape;
- Apply nail polish: after completing the acrylic nail design, you can apply nail polish or other decorative products.
Acrylic Nail Reconstruction Vs Gel Nail Reconstruction
While acrylic nail reconstruction uses a moldable acrylic paste, gel nail reconstruction uses a resin that hardens under a UV lamp. Both techniques offer a resistant and long-lasting result, but there are some differences to consider :
- Gel nail designs are generally more flexible and thinner than acrylic nail designs, making them a good choice for people looking for a natural look;
- Acrylic nail designs are thicker and can be shaped more precisely, making it a better choice for people who want a more durable alternative to natural nails.
I have Frequently Asked Questions About Acrylic Nail Reconstruction
Since it is a technique that acts on a very delicate part of the human body, it is always legitimate to ask yourself a few questions to understand acrylic’s risks (and application methods) for nail reconstruction.
Does Acrylic Nail Reconstruction Damage Natural Nails?
Acrylic nail reconstruction does not damage natural nails provided correctly.
However, incorrect nail removal can cause damage to natural ones.
Does Acrylic Nail Reconstruction Last A Long Time?
Acrylic nail reconstruction can last up to 4-6 weeks, depending on the growth of the nails and correct maintenance.
How Do You Remove Acrylic Nail Reconstruction?
Acrylic nail reconstruction can be removed using a specific solvent for removing acrylic.
However, it is essential to remove the reconstruction correctly to avoid damage to the natural nails.
Does Acrylic Or Gel Cost More?
The application of acrylic nails tends to cost less than a gel nail application because it does not require a lamp (acrylic is a product that does not require polymerization and allows it to air dry simply).
Is Acrylic Resin Toxic?
The acrylic resin products are controlled, non-toxic, and acid-free: the main component is called monomer and is liquid; many say it has an unpleasant odor, but this should not be the case if it is of good quality. Acrylic resin, among other things, is used in dentistry for prosthetics; this confirms and guarantees even more that it cannot be a toxic product.